Community Gardens in the East Bay you NEED to visit!
Student Organic Garden: Corner of Virginia & Walnut Streets, Berkeley
Managed by UC Berkeley students! Fun and hands-on DeCals offered here! Just North of campus. Open Hours: Sunday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Gill Tract Community Farm: San Pablo & Marin Avenues, Albany
The 1.5 acre area that is the Community Farm was designated for community-student partnership & research after a 2012 occupation by Occupy the Farm.
Spiral Gardens: 2380 Sacramento Street, Berkeley.
Strong Roots Garden: Corner of Sacramento & Woolsey, Berkeley.
Berkeley Free Clinic: “Health care is a basic human right and should not be linked to
profit.” Medical and dental care, STI testing, peer counseling.
Location / Contact: 2339 Durant Avenue, Berkeley. 1-800-6-CLINIC
Berkeley Farmer’s Markets: Farmers, musicians, community members. lovely people and atmosphere every time.
- Downtown Berkeley: Center Street & Martin Luther King, Jr. Way
Saturday: 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
- South Berkeley: Adeline Street & 63rd Street
Tuesday: 2:00 pm – 6:30 pm
- North Berkeley: Shattuck Avenue & Rose Street
Thursday: 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
East Bay Food Not Bombs: Reclaims, cooks and serves healthy vegan food to the community 6 days a week. Anyone can help regardless of skill. Each day of the week has its own cook house and style that goes with it. Check out the different servings to find the crew you can get down with.
Locations / Hours to COOK
- Monday: Newman Hall. 2700 Dwight Way, Berkeley.
- Tuesday: First Congregational Church of Oakland. 2501 Harrison Street, Oakland.
- Wednesday: St. Johns Presbyterian Church. 2727 College Avenue, Berkeley.
- Thursday: First Presbyterian Church. 27th Street & Broadway, Oakland. (enter at 27th St) for Berkeley location, call 510-982-6589.
- Friday: 3090 King Street, Berkeley. (across from Malcolm X Elementary, enter thru wooden gate)
- Sunday: call 510-393-0164 for location.
Locations / Hours to EAT
- Monday: People’s Park, Berkeley. 3:00 pm
- Tuesday: People’s Park, Berkeley. 3:00 pm
- Wednesday: People’s Park, Berkeley. 3:00 pm
- Thursday: Recycling Center at 34th & Peralta Streets, Oakland. around 1:30 pm
- Friday: People’s Park, Berkeley. 3:00 pm
- Sunday: 14th & Jefferson Streets, Oakland. after 3:00 pm
Spokeland: Volunteer operated non-profit bicycle education resource. Provides
DIY/DIT (Do it Yourself/Do it Together) workshops with knowledge, tools, and parts for the community to access.
Location / Contact: 813 37th Street, Oakland. 510-852-9253
WTQ (Women, Trans, Queer): every Saturday, 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Biketopia: Community bike shop with DIY tools. Location: 1752 Alcatraz Avenue, Berkeley.
Street Level Cycles: Community bike shop. Work on your bike for free, get help/advice, volunteer for used parts.
Location / Contact: 84 Bolivar Drive, Berkeley. 510-644-2577